Air Conditioner Tune-Up Checklist
- Inspect and clean exterior cooling coil, inspect interior cooling coil, clean when necessary*
Dirty coils reduce the system's ability to cool your home and cause the system to run longer, increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment
- Inspect and flush primary and secondary condensate drains
A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels
- Test & inspect blower & fan motors
Ensures proper system airflow for greater comfort levels. Airflow problems can reduce your system's efficiency by up to 15 percent.
- Inspect high voltage wiring & electrical connections, tighten where necessary. Monitor and record voltage and amperage draws.
Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components
- Lubricate all bearings and moving parts where applicable
Parts that lack lubrication cause friction in motors and increase the amount of electricity you use
- Test compressor
Ensures proper cooling operation and optimum system performance
- Measure and document refrigerant charge, adjust charge when necessary*
Too much or too little refrigerant will make your system less efficient increasing energy costs and reducing the life of the equipment.
- Inspect & test safety controls
Safety controls exist to ensure that potentially unsafe conditions will result in system shut-off. Inspecting and testing these controls ensure that they operate properly.
- Inspect and test relays, capacitors and contractors
Ensures proper system operation and optimum system performance
- Check and clean or replace air filter*
A clogged air filter will restrict air flow and can cause components to overheat and/or refrigerant lines to freeze resulting in potential breakdowns and serious damage to system components
- Test thermostat operation
Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates, and shuts off properly
- Conduct overall system assessment
This includes items such as general system configuration and ductwork to check for wear, damage, improper installation and other potential issues.
- Review findings with customer, make recommendations, discuss any concerns
It's important that you understand the condition of your heating and cooling equipment including items that may pose either immediate or future risks. It is also important that you understand your options regarding home comfort, energy efficiency and indoor air quality. Your Comfort24-7 Provider will review all of their findings and provide you with recommendations.
* Every system is different based on the installation, configuration and application. As a result, additional charges may apply for cleaning or adjusting components that are difficult to access or require cleaning beyond typical applications. In addition, any components that must be replaced (such as air filters or refrigerant) are subject to additional charges unless otherwise specified.