Preventive HVAC maintenance is an investment that pays off in the short run and the long term. Cooling or heating component failures that come out of the blue, and typically at the worst possible time, are often expensive repairs, particularly when they must be done as emergency service after-hours or over a weekend. A longer-term drain on household finances, meanwhile, are the ongoing energy efficiency shortfalls that result in higher operating costs, month after month, not to mention a less comfortable indoor environment.
Benefits of Preventive HVAC Maintenance
Preventive HVAC maintenance reduces wear and tear and other stresses that may cause sudden failure of system components. Over the long run, it also helps your air conditioner or furnace live up to the manufacturer's energy efficiency specs it was designed to deliver. A comprehensive maintenance plan involves an annual inspections and tune-up by an HVAC professional. These are best done at the outset of the cooling and heating season to ensure reliable performance during the periods of heaviest load.
In addition, here are a few DIY preventive HVAC maintenance tasks most homeowners can handle themselves:
- Change the air filter. Optimum airflow is the single most important parameter in an A/C or heating system. Buy filters in multi-packs and change them monthly.
- Keep the outdoor condenser clear. Cut back encroaching vegetation around the outdoor component of the central air conditioner. Clear two feet of space on all sides to ensure proper air circulation into the coil intake vents.
- Check the insulation on the refrigerant conduits that connect the indoor and outdoor A/C components. Look for missing pieces of insulation or oil stains that may indicate a refrigerant leak.
- Clean the condensate drain pan. Pour one cup of household bleach and one cup of water into the air conditioner condensate drain pan located under the indoor air handler. This inhibits algae growth that can clog drain lines and cause an overflow.
- Keep vents clear. Make sure the supply and return vent registers in each room are open and not blocked by furniture, drapes or other obstructions.
Learn more about Comfort 24-7.com's preventive HVAC maintenance solutions, or give us a call at 855-438-2663 to schedule a tune-up for your home's cooling system!