It's the time of year again to tackle fall home maintenance here in Chicagoland. Set aside a weekend to spruce up and button up your home, and go above, below and outside the living spaces to set up a line of defense against high energy bills and discomforts.
Fall Home Maintenance
Fall home maintenance is about plugging heat loss, emergency preparedness and ensuring home safety. See which energy-saving and safety tips belong on your fall home maintenance checklist.
- Attic: Insulate the attic to R-60, which is approximately 18-20 inches of fiberglass or cellulose. Check attic vents to ensure free air movement between the attic and outside air.
- Air sealing: Seal the attic door with foam weatherstripping. Use caulk and weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Basement: Check the basement and crawl spaces for mold, vermin and pests. A portable dehumidifier helps keep the basement area dry.
- Generator and sump: Ask your HVAC professional to inspect the backup generator and sump system.
- Roofing and gutters: Inspect the roof to spot and repair loose shingles and gutters. Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors:;Replace the batteries and ensure smoke and CO detectors are functioning properly.
- Window safety: Make sure all windows easily open in the event of an emergency. Repair any broken window locks.
- Window treatments: Use draperies, shutters and/or storm panels to protect against heat loss and storms.
Fall HVAC Maintenance
The following HVAC maintenance basics should be performed by a professional technician each fall.
- Heating: Furnace or boiler components should be tested and cleaned.
- Venting: The flue should be inspected for leaks. Check sidewall venting for nests or other debris.
- Ductwork: The air ducts need to be inspected for leaks and insulation deficiencies. Grilles and diffusers should be cleaned, and any obstructions to free airflow removed.
- Fireplace: Have the chimney professionally cleaned.
- Air filter: Make sure you have enough air filters on hand to last the heating months.
For more fall home maintenance tips or to schedule service for your Chicagoland, Northwest;Indiana or Southwest Michigan area home, please contact the professionals at Comfort24-7.com.